Saturday, August 9, 2008

I love my new floor, despite the adventure...

We finally got around to finishing the floor for the new room we are making on our back porch. We decided staining the concrete was the best way to go. We got the stain on a few days ago, but were waiting for a good time to get the sealant on. Finally, yesterday we got it done. Dave had the day off, so we got the first coat on in the morning and then headed out to get away from the smell. We took Dave to the local water park where he had never been. We spent a few hours sliding, splashing, and swimming. It was a lot of fun.

We decided, spur of the moment, after leaving the park to go see the alligators down the creole nature trail. We hadn't been since my sister came, when Brett was a baby.
As we arrived there were a few people right at the front, tossing bread(against the rules) to some alligators. They would come right up close to and even under the platform we were on. There were 4 smallish alligators. Then we headed down the trail to look for more, with no luck. the trail was hot, the bugs were biting and the alligators were hiding. Brett and Paige complained alot. So, as we left Dave asked them if they would like to go to the beach to make up for it. Even though there was obviously a thunderstorm on the way. We went to Holly Beach, and since there was a swim advisory, walked the beach looking for shells. It was much cooler and quite breezy. The kids had a great time and before they could get bored the storm came in, we ran for the car and headed home.

Late that evening Dave put the second coat of sealant on the floor. Bryce, Paige and Brett (Ty spent the night at a friends) went to bed with towels stuffed under the doors to help keep the smell out. It smelled really, really bad. I couldn't sleep in our room so, Dave and I spread out on the floor in Bryce's room and with in minutes decided we couldn't sleep in the house. So, at 11:00 we went out back and put up the tent. We took out sleeping bags, pillows, etc. and then started taking the kids,who had been soundly asleep to the tent. Brett was first, he sat in the tent a little dazed, I asked if he was okay, he said yes and I went back in for more stuff. Minutes, later as Dave is carring Paige out, we hear Brett screaming! I run out and he is crying and screaming(and has had an accident). Paige is upset, she doesn't feel good, and she doesn't like that we woke her up and took her to a tent in the back yard. Just then, Bryce wanders out the back door,(yes, he has just walked across the new, stinky floor). Dave, thinking all his work has been ruined yells at him and now he is upset too. We get everyone calmed down and situated in the tent, where of course they have trouble falling back to sleep. Some how it was not as unbearably hot as it should be on an August night in Louisiana. Eventually, everyone is sleeping. Some time later, I wake up. I hear noises like speeding cars, lots of bugs, frogs and what I think is thunder! I keep listening, not sure what to do. Yes, it is thunder, so I decide it is best to not wake everyone up again unless it becomes absolutely necessary. So, I lie there and listen. It is cloudy. I keep listening and hoping the storm does not come our way. Amazingly, it does not and I some how get a little more sleep. We all start waking up when it is getting light and I was surprised that we slept clear until 6:40. We head for the bathroom and find that thankfully, it doesn't smell as bad as before. Bryce, Paige and Brett have forgiven us and Ty is upset because he missed the "camp out" and the floor looks great!

4 comments:

gwen said...

Oh my goodness, Lisa, what an adventure! I know what you mean about the smell. When we did ours it was horrible. Taylor started talking kind of crazy. We got him outside real quick. He was fine after a minute of fresh air. Scary!

Be A Saint said...

That is such a great story. We have done several floors and still no story quite like this one. You are so smart to get the tent. We would have loaded up and gone to a hotel. Not nearly as inventive as you! Good Job, can't wait to see it.

Stacy James said...

So where's the pictures of the floor? I'm amazed that you even THOUGHT about putting up a tent! My brain is definitely wired different than yours! Good for you, though.

Klin said...

That was quite the adventure. It will make it more memorable when you look back.

Pictures, dear cousin, pictures. I want to see.