Monday, May 16, 2011

NYC day FIVE

I loved seeing "Wicked" so much that I wanted to see something else. So, we decided to skip the Statue of Liberty (I know, I know how can you go to New York and NOT go the Statue of Liberty?). We also missed out on a few other misc. things we had planned, but I guess that just gives me an excuse to go back one day. We knew that there was a line where you could get half-price tickets (see above), we also knew that this was only on the highest priced tickets. So, you could get good seats, but you do have to wait in this very long, very slow line. We knew this because earlier in the week we had come across a ticket booth in a small Times Square museum. We went back there (where there were 2 people in line ahead of us) to see what shows had tickets available. We had a few shows we were interested in "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying" with Daniel Radcliffe from Harry Potter for one, "The Lion King" for another. They were sold out as were several others. One of our options was "The Addams Family" There were tickets available but none of the lower price ones. Since we were very close to the theater we went to the box office to see what they had. We walk in, no line, ask the ticket agent what he's got. His answer, "I can give you 2 seats in the middle of the third row for (half of what we were quoted five minutes earlier)." Our response, "We will take them!"


We now had time to kill before the show so we headed off to the Carnegie Deli for the last of the "P's" Pastrami. We were shuffled in and stuffed between some other customers. We knew we would be having cheesecake too, so, we opted to share a sandwich (for a $3 sharing fee). The sandwich was delicious, much better than the corned beef our neighbors had (yes we shared with strangers) and we still couldn't finish one slice of cheesecake between us. We did alot of walking and saw many famous places, The Plaza Hotel, Trump Tower, etc.


We went to the famous FAO Schwarz where we found a few things to take home to the kids. We didn't wait in line for the big piano (I know we are lame). We were really tempted to make our own "Muppet". There were really cute and looked so fun! But, we didn't (again, lame I know).

Then we headed to our Matinee in the third row! It was almost too close, but so fun. This play was a much smaller production than "Wicked", but very cute and funny. It is the story of Wednesday Addams all grown up. She has fallen in love with a normal boy and invited him and his family over and begs for a normal night, which obviously is not going to happen! Was it better than seeing the Statue of Liberty? Who knows but it was fun and no long security lines, so I am glad we went!

(Two rows of seats in front of us and then the curtain!)


Then we wandered and shopped a little more. We went down Park Avenue. Used the bathroom at another fancy hotel, the Waldorf-Astoria. We went to Dylan's Candy Bar and spent way too long looking at, deciding among and even taste testing all the goodies! We spent so long here that by the time we walked down the street for dinner the wait was just too long and we really needed to head back to our hotel because I had to get up early to head to the airport.


We didn't do everything we had planned, but it is impossible to do it all. It was an awesome trip! (I might sneak in one more post of little things I left out earlier, interesting things I noticed and other random thoughts.)

4 comments:

Carolina girl said...

Sounds like a super fun trip! Wasn't Wicked so awesome?! LOVE it!

Susan said...

Shows are SO. MUCH. FUN. We saw Lion King in Las Vegas 3 wks ago. It was awesome.

Momof4fabkids said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate 20 years! Congrats! We used to drive to NY on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the half price tickets when we lived in PA. Can you believe I have yet to see Wicked? I'm WAY too far West now, lol!

Momof4fabkids said...

It's me, Gayla