Monday, March 31, 2008

My favorite cake

Every summer when I was growing up we would have family picnics with my mom's family. We loved getting together with our cousins and of course loved all the picnic food. My favorite thing we just called grandma's picnic cake. Until I grew up and asked for the recipe I don't think I ever had this cake except on a picnic. I hope she won't mind me sharing. It is really yummy.

Grandma J's Picnic Cake

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour or buttermilk
4 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Combine all ingredients. Put in 9x11" greased and floured pan. Sprinkle with a topping of 3/4 cup each: brown sugar, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

2 comments:

gwen said...

I will SO be making this cake! It was delicious. I didn't eat my piece until I was on the road home and all I can say is....of my gosh!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

It looks yummy! Does anyone want to make the cake and share a piece with me? HAHA