Thursday, January 15, 2009

Her first word



Most of you know at least a little bit about my daughter, Paige. Paige is cute and sweet and very smart, but Paige does not talk at school. Paige has a social anxiety disorder called Selective Mutism. This means that she doesn't talk in situations where speaking is expected, like at school. This is a genetic disorder that many member of my family have experienced, but none quite as severely as Paige. We always new Paige was shy, but it wasn't until a discussion with her preschool teacher that we learned the extent of it and did some research and had her diagnosed. When Paige started Kindergarten, I requested that she be put in a class with her friend who lived across the street. For awhile, Claire, was the only one that she talked to at school. But, Paige made 2 other very good friends that year. She never said a word to her teacher. In first grade, Paige was in class with one of her new friends and by the end of the year was talking to a handful of girls in her class. She never said a word to her teacher. In second grade she was with still another friend and by the end of this year she was speaking to all of the girls in her class. She never said a word to her teacher. By third grade Paige had several friends in her class and by the end of the year was speaking to most of her classmates. She was also put in a gifted program one day a week. She never said a word to her teachers. Now she is in fourth grade and has four teachers. She talks to all of her classmates. Paige loves all of her teachers, past and present. Yesterday, as Paige was leaving her gifted class she whispered to her teacher, "bye".

9 comments:

Erin said...

That's awesome! Did the teacher call you right away??

MiCKeY said...

Yay for Paige! I had a boy in cubs like that & know both how hard that was for Paige & the excitement the teacher felt just to hear that whisper!

I like the new background on your blog too!

Klin said...

Progress!!! Yay for Paige.

Be A Saint said...

Yeah, Paige....I know how huge that is. I am so proud of her. I think she might end up hard to shut up. Her goal should be to get in trouble for talking in class!

Susan said...

That's fantastic! Good for you, Paige. ;)

Julie Church said...

How did yo find out? That is so awesome...that would have made me cry had I been her mother. Hooray for Paige!

Lisa said...

I happened to be at school for Brett and saw one of Paige's classmates. I also got to talk to her teacher right after she went back to her regular class. She also told the same teacher "thank you" when she brought her a treat the next day!

Carolina girl said...

Wow! That is awesome! Good for her! =)

The Chris Tippets Family said...

That's great. That's always the beginning of even more talking. My little Dallin is pretty shy. It took him a long time to talk to his preschool teachers and primary teachers. He started out whispering to them. She is such a cutie.