Friday, October 21, 2011

Here and there, now and then

Now that I have high school students, I find myself commenting on differences in our high school experiences. Is it because we live in the south and I was raised in the west? Or is it because I went to high school in the 80's vs. today? Maybe some of both.

Some recent examples: I have been telling the boys about football games when I was a teenager. A football game was a school event, I am sure there were parents and other adults there, but I really don't remember them. But, the majority of students attended the games. Our band did not march but we did play from the stands and we sat on the 50 yard line. Our school song was written by our band director and everyone sang along everytime the team scored. Cheerleaders did just that--lead cheers (we even had two male cheerleaders). Students loudly participated in cheering on the team. For Homecoming the queen and her two attendents (all seniors) were announced at half-time of the football game.

Here there is much more community support, there are even season ticket holders. But, the student section is way at the north end of the bleachers. The marching band is awesome. Their director has a real talent for creating a great program and the kids work soooo hard. They always do great in their competions. Here several schools have the same fight song and I am not sure if there are words, but the crowd does clap along. I haven't seen any crowd participation with the cheerleaders, but maybe that is because the football team is having a tough year. The Homecoming court consists of girls from all classes and they are presented with their parents or other escorts at half-time. The queen is chosen from one of the seniors in the homecoming court and is announced at the football game.

Tonight we are all going to the final homegame of the season. Paige and her middle school band will get to play with the marching band so Brett will be coming along for the first time this year. He will probably complain and be bored. I guess I better go charge the DS and my phone in hopes of keeping him occupied.

No comments: