Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Week

School Fundraisers!

I know they have their purpose and they do a lot of good things with the money earned, but when you have more than one kid trying to sell something, it is just too hard. It's one thing to sell candy or cookie dough...pretty straight forward, but I really hate the catalogues. It is too much to look through and too expensive. We also have no family in the area to push things on and all of our friends have kids selling the same stuff. There must be a better way!

5 comments:

Erin said...

My kids are trying to save money to buy themselves an XBox. I offered them $50 toward their fund if they did not participate in the cookie dough fundraiser. That's about how much money I spent between the three of them last year and we don't have the hassle or the pressure to make it to the next prize level. ha I know it's not very school spirited but we support the school in other ways. :)

Klin said...

OH so true. I'd rather just give $50 to the school than do that fundraising stuff. My mom offered to do just that. Shelby told her, "you can't do that grandma. You have to get something for your money." It's called not hassling with looking through the catalog of expensive nonsense that no one needs.

gwen said...

Our middle school band always gives the families the option of paying a fee, maybe $20 or so to not have to participate. They probably actually even come out ahead that way. We ALWAYS just happily pay the fee. That cookie dough is a hassle to pick up and keep refrigerated, etc...

Susan said...

I can't stand fundraisers. After we had all of them in school we rarely let them participate. No one wants the things they sell and yet they keep sending home the slick brochures year after year.

Stacy James said...

Personally, I like the plain old boxes of M&M's! Those are easy, everybody likes them and you can sell them immediately and don't have to make a special trip to deliver!