I recently read a book (because my sister mentioned it) about a young girl who doesn't talk. The back of the book and a couple of times in the book they say that she has selective mutism. She does not. The girl in the book stopped talking because of a traumatic event and did not talk to anyone...ever, until of course at the end of the book where she began talking again.

Selective Mutism is a genetic anxiety disorder. Those who have this disorder speak normally in some situations like at home and cannot speak in others like at school. When Paige is in a situation where she is expected to talk she feels great anxiety. Maybe, it could be compared to someone with a great fear of heights looking over the edge of a skyscrapper. Paige does not let this keep her from doing the things she wants to do. She participates in everything. She knew that if she went to the region science fair there would be judges interviewing the partipants, but she still wanted to go.

Arrangements were made and Bryce sat with her. When the judge came to her she whispered her answers to Bryce and he told them to the judge. She received an honorable mention at the fair. This year Paige has participated in student of the year, spelling bees, science fair, beta club, and more. When she wants to do something...she finds a way. If her anxiety was a fear of heights she would be skydiving!
5 comments:
This is one of those times when I wish blogger had a "like" button...Way to go Paige! The sky is the limit!
Good for you Paige! And great job on the science fair too.
Good clarification. I recently had a client with selective mutism. No one in my office but me knew what it was. You are absolutely right that it has nothing to do with trauma. It is an anxiety issue and because of Pam I knew this and could work with this young lady.
Go Paige!!! I think the fact that Paige has a great mom and dad has a lot to do with her ability to triumph over this trial.
Paige is awesome.
Selective mutism is hard to understand for most people. An example I can give is if I had been asked to give a speech or have my hand chopped off...I would have to think hard about what I would do. Most people wouldn't. It's like a major phobia, but pressure from well-meaning others and such can make it worse. You are an awesome mom, too. You've helped her find ways to do the awesome things she can but within her comfort zone.
Paige is my hero!
Post a Comment