Friday, December 26, 2008

Not-so-secret Santa




In an effort to put the focus on giving instead of getting we have a few Christmas traditions at our house. For instance, Dave always brings home a name from the Salvation Army Angel Tree at work and we all going shopping to help another child. In an effort to get the kids to serve each other we have, for several years, drawn names for "Secret Santa". The kids are supposed to do kind things and bits of service for each other in the weeks leading up to Christmas. They also get a secret santa gift. This year Dave and I threw our names in the hat too. One of my favorite things is the kids thinking of what they can give rather than get. Brett had chosen Bryce's name, which he promptly forgot and was sure that he had either Ty or Daddy. But, in the end I was able to convince him and he picked out gifts for Bryce that included a dodge ball, a huge tennis ball and a boomerang. Paige was so cute. She tried so hard to be sneaky. She came to me one day and said, "Mom, you always ask us what we want for Christmas, but what do you want?" Another day, Ty was shopping for his gift and Paige said, "I don't feel like getting my secret santa gift today." She got me some mini scrapbooks and chipboard letters. Ty is the worst at keeping secrets. As, he read his slip it was obvious that he had Dad and was not thrilled about it. He got dad an Uno attack! game. Bryce had Paige and was a good sport about having to get a girl present and was very concerned about getting her something she really wanted, which he did. He gave Paige a carrying bag for her webkinz and a pink hoodie for them to wear. I had Ty and since Ty never knows what he wants and is always happy with what he gets, I couldn't really go wrong. I gave him a game called hyper slide. Dave had Brett. And since he loves toys just as much as the kids do, he got Brett remote control bumper cars and they have been having a great time together with them. I love how "Secret Santa" helps them to remember what they gave and not just what they got!

1 comment: